Flash Fiction #49

I found this random writing prompt and decided to write a bit about it for fun. Hope you enjoy!

"A mysterious death occurs. Your character realizes no-one will listen to what he's saying."

~~~

I saw it with my own eyes. The murderer who killed my sister. She hid me in our closet just moments before as I peeked through the gaps in the door to see a person in a long coat and hat walked in through our front door. They talked for a bit before she struggled against him, and eventually choked her to death. As I held my breath to not alert the murderer, I leaned back against the back of the closet unsure of what to do. As soon as I couldn't hear his footsteps anymore, I pushed open the closet doors and rushed over to my sister to try to wake her up by shaking.

"Elizabeth! Elizabeth!"

I sobbed as I tried my best to wake her up, trying to deny what happened just now. To no avail, she remained motionless. After calling the cops through my tears, they eventually came and put me aside as they started to prepare to move her.

"What's your name?"

"Ken."

"Ken, do you know what happened here?"

"Someone came and killed my sister. I don't know what he looks like because he wore a hat to cover parts of his face and a coat to cover what he was wearing underneath."

I watched the detective scribble down something before looking up. "Thank you. I'm sorry for your loss."

After the detective turned around, sighed and walked back to his colleagues, I stood up and pulled on his pants. "You'll catch my sister's killer, right?! You're going to start to investigate it first thing tomorrow, right?!"

"It's really sad to say this, but from our preliminary reports, your sister passed away because she had a heart attack. There was no murderer."

"I'm certain there was someone here! Please believe me!"

"You're in shock. I know it's going to take some time to accept her death, but that is what our doctor has told us. There was no foul play here." The detective kneeled down and looked straight into my eyes.

"Why aren't you listening to what I'm saying!? I'm telling everything I know!" I backed away from the detective. "If you're not going to do anything about it, then I'll find the killer on my own!"

I ran out the front door, wiping the tears with my sleeve. Elizabeth, I'll get my revenge no matter how long it takes. Even if no one believes me, I'll catch the killer if it's the last thing I do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flash Fiction #13

Flash Fiction #12

Flash Fiction #14