Flash Fiction #48

I was inspired by something that occurred recently... Hope you enjoy! ^^

~~~

"Britt! Jen! Do you have everything with you? Your allowance?"

Jen looked through the screen door. "Yes, Mom."

Britt had their mom inspect her backpack and put a cap on her head before opening up the door to let her go. "Be home as soon as the math class finishes for dinner. Jen, you do have the money to get you and your younger sister lunch, right?"

"Of course, Mom. I just said that I did."

Their mother pointed at Britt and Jen and yelled, "Be sure to hold your sister's hand, Britt!"

Britt looked down as their mom's voice carried across their neighbourhood, and she was sure their neighbours heard her. She held her older sister's hand.

"Mom's a worrywart, but there's no worry. We both have each of our backs, right?"

Britt nodded, smiling. "Does Mom have to remind us every time we leave by ourselves though? I get so embarrassed."

"I was like that too, but I think it's just her way of showing she cares about us." Jen said, trying to be wise. "Maybe."

Both sisters bursted out in laughter.

They passed by a convenience store, and Britt asked, "What are we going to eat for lunch? Hamburger and chips?"

"Of course. It's too good to pass it by." Jen agreed, and then laughed.

"What's so funny?!" Britt looked up at her older sister, tugging at her hand.

"Before I say what I was just thought, why do you think Mom gives us money to buy our lunch?"

 Britt replied, "I don't know."

"Well... I think she's busy with her work, but maybe she wants us to treasure the value of money as well as buy something healthy. But you and I both know that's never going to happen!"

"Yup!" Britt laughed. "Junk food! Yay!"

When they were near the school, they stopped by a supermarket and decided to pick the most unhealthy junk food for their lunch.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flash Fiction #63

Flash Fiction #13

My Impressions of Hinokio