Skip to main content

Flash Fiction #46

I found this writing prompt online that I found interesting, and wanted to write about it.

You reject someone by saying "I'll go on a date with you the day hell freezes over." The next day, Satan appears in your room, shivering, and covered in snow.

https://www.reddit.com/r/WritingPrompts/comments/62yn9s/wp_you_reject_someone_by_saying_ill_go_on_a_date/

Hope you enjoy!

~~~

It was a normal day just like any other day. I woke up, went to work to sit at my cubicle, and then went back home to prepare my dinner. I never thought to see a monster eating one of my apples I bought at the grocery store this week as it sat on my couch watching TV. I dropped my bag at the front foyer, slack-jawed.

"Who are you?! How did you get inside my apartment?" I rushed over to my living room after getting a frying pan from the kitchen and pointed it at the monster.

"What's that going to do?" It giggled at my weapon. "Never mind. I have come for one reason and one reason alone. I am the ruler from Hell and you made my home a frozen wasteland because of what you said."

"What on Earth on you talking about? I didn't do anything! I'm a normal person with no special ability. You got the wrong person!" I couldn't believe what I just heard. Satan? Hell? Tell me this is just a dream!

"To be frank, you are normal but some crazy woman perform some ritual for the deed to be done which makes you related to her. Let me remind you like so... Kukuku."

The monster waved his arm through the air, and I saw a 3D projection of myself turning down a friend. I heard those words as clear as day, "Fine! I'll go on a date with you the day hell freezes over!"

Are you serious?! Jenny?!

The monster leaned over and pushed my mouth back up with a finger. "Remember now?"

I nodded, bewildered. "Y-Yes. I'm really confused how Jenny could freeze Hell all over."

"The point is Hell will still be frozen until you go on a date with her. Reject her for all I care at the end, but I want my home back to normal!"

I fell onto my couch. "But she's not my type. We have nothing in common."

"Not my problem. If you don't call her right now, I'll follow you to your death until you do it." The monster loomed above me, laughing uncontrollably.

I pulled out my phone after scratching my hair, frustrated. "FINE! I'll call her and settle a date. As long as I don't have the devil following around me. It feels like an omen. Leave me alone, I won't back down as soon as I call her."

"I won't go back home until the date is over since my home will be super cold, so I'll help myself to these apples as I will thoroughly enjoy the interaction between humans." Satan reached over for another apple on the dining table.

I slapped myself in the face. What have I gotten myself into? Women are scary.

Popular posts from this blog

My Impression of Train to Busan

I rarely watched Korean movies, and I believe this is the first time I am writing a review of sorts for one. Since this movie takes place in the apocalyptic zombie setting, this makes it even less likely for me to watch as I don't really watch zombie movies. Moving on, I randomly stumbled upon this movie and decided to give it a shot, The movie, Train to Busan. premiered on May 13, 2016 at the 2016 Cannes Film Festival. The film was directed by Yeon Sang-ho, and stars Gong Yoo, Jung Yu-mi, and Ma Dong-seok.

To not give any spoilers to the story, I'll try to be as brief of a summary concerning the story. The story centers around Seok-woo (played by Gong Yoo) and his daughter, Su-an (played by the child actress, Kim Su-an) where they get on a KTX train from Seoul to Busan so that Su-an can see her mother due to her wanting to file a divorce from Seok-woo. Since it is a zombie film, things go awry and an infected person gets on board the KTX to start the infection. Seok-woo figh…

My Impression of I am a Hero

I watched a Japanese movie, I Am a Hero, around the same time as I did with Train to Busan. Coincidentally, they were both zombie movies which I don't often watch that type of genre. The Japanese movie was released on April 23, 2016 and was directed by Shinsuke Sato. The movie starred Yo Oizumi, Kasumi Arimura, and Masami Nagasawa. 
The basic premise of I Am a Hero is the zombie apocalypse, but it takes its time to set up the zombie apocalypse. It starts the story a couple of days before the outbreak and introduces the main character, Hideo Suzuki, and his previous life before all hell breaks loose. He's always been a normal person with no accomplishments in life. All he has was his dream, but he's now 35 working as a manga assistant, which is consider lower than a normal part time job, with no hope of achieving his dream of being a successful manga artist. Then he meets a high school girl, Hiromi Hayakari along the way and tries to survive in this apocalyptic world meeti…

Flash Fiction #44

I had originally started this months ago, but I didn't finish it. I don't recall how I wanted to end it...

~~~

The bell for recess rang and everyone ran outside wearing their winter coats to the snowy fields in the school playground for their fifteen minutes of freedom before class continued. James hung back being one of the last ones to leave the school building. While he watched his classmates and other students have fun in the snow, James knelt down at a corner of the school playground to play alone. It was always like this everyday. He never had someone that he called a friend since the school year began months ago.

"James! Heads up!" A female voice called him and James looked up to see a snowball hit him right down the middle.

"Haha! Slowpoke!" The girl pointed her index finger at him and laughed so much she had to clutch her stomach to contain herself.

"Nancy. Leave me alone!" He turned around to walk away, visibly hurt.

"What's wro…