Flash Fiction #45

I saw this writing prompt and found it interesting for me to write on.

"You realize you are immortal or more specifically that you cannot die. The issue is that you only realize this once the man who is attempting to torture you to death can't finish the job."


~~~

I couldn't believe I was in this predicament. Strapped to a chair in a dimly lit basement with the curtains covered and head covered by a black cloth, my fears were fully realized. Claustrophobic. Thantophobic. I didn't even know the time of day. My cries of pain echoed in the empty room. Will anyone hear me?

"If you want the pain to stop, tell me what I need to know!"

I pleaded, "I don't know what you're talking about. You're misunderstanding!"

At the crack of the whip, I felt the sharp pain on my chest. It just kept on coming. I could definitely feel the skin had broke and blood was dripping away.

"Why were you with my wife the other day?! Why did she leave me!? What did you tell her!?"

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. "You're completely insane!"

"If you're not going to cooperate, we're going to have to escalate this." The man took a tool and stretched out my fingers onto a wooden board. I thought he was going to do what I thought, and found myself correct. A knife came down and severed my right pinky finger.

I roared out in pain, crumbling up inside and panting heavily. "Please... I beg you... I don't know... you're mistaken..."

"Still playing dumb?" The man chopped off my right ring finger this time. "I wouldn't have to do this if you admit it!"

"You got the wrong guy!"

"You're still telling the same lies?! What about these!?" The man shoved pictures into my face as he lifted the black cloth from my eyes to look at them.

As I looked at the pictures at the unfamiliar woman and myself, I recalled just one day from the last week where I bumped into her by accident as seen in the photo. She seemed distressed about something, and I had just spilled her coffee that she was holding. I immediately gave her the change for another one and a napkin to try to help her clean up the mess. I must have said something, but we exchanged smiles and we went on with our own lives. With the blindfold off for a quick moment, I looked past the photos to see the man's face in shadow. I couldn't recognize him at all in the dark. My first thought at seeing his face in shadow was: This guy is insane!

"That was the first time seeing your wife that day. I don't know anything. Please believe me!"

"She didn't talk to anyone that day and all of a sudden at the end of the day, she told me that she wanted to leave me! Why!? What did you say to her!?"

"I don't remember. It must have been something simple like a 'Sorry'. I did bump into her and spill her coffee that day!" I tried to explain to my kidnapper. "I'm sure if you come clean to the police and get some help, they can help you."

"You're lying. Everyone is lying." The man covered my face again with the black cloth and could hear him muttering to himself over and over again.

I thought he was going to cut off another finger, but I felt a sharp object pierce through my torso. I yelled out in pain, but I must have gone into shock and passed out.

I resumed consciousness, still feeling the pain but now dull. My hand twitched and the man shouted, "How are you still alive?! I got your heart!"

I couldn't believe it either. Why am I suffering through this hell? If I'm going to die, why won't it end?

I felt another sharp object pierce through my abdomen and coughed out blood. Is this my punishment for everything I wronged in the past?

When I thought another weapon was going to stab me, I heard the basement door kicked open. "FREEZE! Hands up!"

It's the police! Thank you!

"He's the monster! Why won't he die!? I'm not the monster, just a normal person!" I assumed he got handcuffed, and dragged away as his voice trailed from the house.

He whispered, "Please... help... I want to see Alisa..."

"Don't move, we'll get you out soon and the ambulance will take you to the hospital." An officer knelt down and pulled the blindfold away from my face. "I'm not sure how you're still alive, but keep hanging on. You're safe now."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flash Fiction #63

Flash Fiction #13

My Impressions of Hinokio