Flash Fiction #44

I had originally started this months ago, but I didn't finish it. I don't recall how I wanted to end it...

~~~

The bell for recess rang and everyone ran outside wearing their winter coats to the snowy fields in the school playground for their fifteen minutes of freedom before class continued. James hung back being one of the last ones to leave the school building. While he watched his classmates and other students have fun in the snow, James knelt down at a corner of the school playground to play alone. It was always like this everyday. He never had someone that he called a friend since the school year began months ago.

"James! Heads up!" A female voice called him and James looked up to see a snowball hit him right down the middle.

"Haha! Slowpoke!" The girl pointed her index finger at him and laughed so much she had to clutch her stomach to contain herself.

"Nancy. Leave me alone!" He turned around to walk away, visibly hurt.

"What's wrong, James?" she asked, bending over to look up at his face.

"I'm fine. Why don't you go play with Jessica and them as you always do?"

"You're always alone, so I wanted to play with you during recess today." Nancy smiled.

Jessica yelled across the school ground, "Nancy! Are you coming over to us!?"

"I'm fine here! Not today!" Nancy waved back.

James asked, "You don't have to play with me because I'm alone. I'm used to it, and besides, our classmates will judge you because you're with me."

"I'm fine with that. You're an interesting classmate, and I want to get to know you! Come on, let's build a snow man!" Nancy grabbed James' hand, and ran over to the patch of snow to start rolling a snowball.

James joined in and for the first time since the school year, he was having fun. When the bell rang at the end of lunch recess, Nancy and James started to walk back to their designated doors. "Thanks for playing with me today, Nancy. I had a lot of fun!"

"See! You can make friends in class! You have to try with the others!" Nancy beamed, nudging him with her shoulder.

James wanted to say that it was because of her, but he blushed at the thought of it. He whispered, "Can we play again tomorrow?"

Nancy paused for a moment before nodding. "Of course. I'm excited for tomorrow now. But promise me that you'll try to make new friends?"

"O-Of course, I'll try if you're here."

"Pinky promise!?" Nancy stuck out her pinky, and James linked his pinky finger with hers for a brief second. Then they hung up their jackets at their cupboard before heading back into the classroom to continue on for the rest of the day.

Little did he knew, that was the last day he saw Nancy at school. She had moved across the country with her parents because they got transferred to a different branch for their jobs.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flash Fiction #13

Flash Fiction #12

Flash Fiction #14