My Impressions of The Hours of My Life

(Image used from: http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Boku_no_Ita_Jikan)

I recently watched a Japanese TV drama (again) called The Hours of My Life (translated from Boku no Ita Jikan) that aired in Japan between Jan 8 to Mar 19, 2014. It starred Miura Haruma and Tabe Mikako.

The synopsis for this Japanese drama on Drama Wiki is well done and not too spoilery, so I'll just copy and paste their summary here (with minor tweaks):

"Fourth year university student Sawada Takuto (played by Miura Haruma) is having a tough time looking for a job. As the eldest son of the director of a hospital, Takuto's parents had expected him to become a doctor. But they began to focus their hopes on his younger brother Rikuto instead, some time during his junior high school. Although Takuto is popular and good at befriending ladies, he has no confidence that he will be loved and thus avoids deep emotional involvement with anyone. One day, he is informed that he does not have long to live because he is suffering from amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), an incurable, progressive neurodegenerative disease. Takuto, who had given only vague thoughts to his goals in life, starts to explore what is left of his life and live with a positive attitude."

I do have to say that the chemistry between the main characters of Haruma and Mikako's characters were good, and the acting overall between the co-stars and main cast were good as well. I like the varying angles and the cinematography that was in the TV show. The theme songs played throughout the series especially the song that plays at the end of every episode is really good. The story is really emotional as you would expect from the plot summary, and you really feel for Takuto and what he is going through. Although the story centers around him, the story also shows character development for the people around his life like his younger brother, his girlfriend, best friend, and parents. In each episode, I couldn't stop my tears from coming out and despite it being a fictional story, it inspired me. Back then, I can relate to what it is like after graduating from university and having vague thoughts about the future. I wasn't sure what to do, and I have a normal life so I kept on thinking that I have the next day to think about it. But as an example if you get an incurable disease and you have a fixed time left to live, you begin to think more seriously about your life and goals in your life that you want to accomplish. It made me feel bad at myself, and I found his speech in the last episode to be really touching and inspiring.

Overall, I really like this drama. If you want to have the feels and get some good acting with its main cast, I definitely recommend a watch at least once.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flash Fiction #13

Flash Fiction #63

Flash Fiction #14