My Impression of Chihayafuru Part 1 and 2

Image used from: http://asianwiki.com/Chihayafuru_Part_1

Image used from: http://asianwiki.com/Chihayafuru_Part_2
A couple of months ago, I watched these two movies that are related called Chihayafuru Part 1 and 2. The Japanese titles are called: Chihayafuru Kami no Ku and Chihayafuru Shimo no Ku respectively. They were released in March 19 and April 29, 2016. The movie series is getting a third movie to round out the trilogy sometime in 2017. It was directed by Norihiro Koizumi, and based on the manga with the same name written by Yuki Suetsugu. The movies stars Suzu Hirose, Shuhei Nomura, and Mackenyu Maeda.

The story is about Chihaya Ayase (played by Suzu Hirose) who meets and becomes friends with Arata Wataya (played by Mackenyu) a talented karuta player. After being introduced to karuta by Arata, she hopes to become the best karuta player in Japan. She also make friends with Taichi Mashima as they all play karuta together. Unfortunately, all three of them are separated from one another, but Chihaya still plays karuta with hopes to see Arata again. In high school, she forms a Karuta Club with Taichi in order to play competitively with other schools to be the best karuta player and for her to be with Arata again.

I had no idea what karuta was before watching the movie, so I had to learn quickly through the movie's exposition as they show what the game was all about. I get the gist of it with some uncertainty, but it tries to explain for new viewers that is unfamiliar with the anime/manga. From what I can understand, the basic premise of karuta is a card game where two opposing players lay out in front of them. A judge reads out a card that they have, and the players have to grab the card to finish the poem before their opponent or protect their own. It's a lot more intense than what I'm actually explaining!

The acting with its main cast and supporting cast were well done in my opinion. I was drawn in to watch it because of Suzu Hirose as I recently watched a movie she was in which was Our Little Sister. She's really pretty, very expressive with her emotions but not too over the top that makes you cringe while watching. I can't say how the movie  was compared to the source material as I never read/watch the series, but I feel like the pacing was good. It didn't feel too rushed. It may bore some people who are not interested in this type of story as it is all talking and the only action is when they play karuta. The director did try to make it interesting for those scenes. It's been a while so I don't quite remember the music or cinematography, but I think it was well done. There wasn't anything negative about it that I can remember.

It gives me hope that possibly one day they will adapt Hikaru no Go as a live action movie/TV drama, if they could adapt Chihayafuru. Overall, I really like the two films and I can't wait to watch the third movie sometime next year!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flash Fiction #13

Flash Fiction #12

Flash Fiction #14