Flash Fiction #43

I was inspired by something that happened yesterday. Hope you enjoy!

~~~

As I sat there staring out the window with the thin layer of snow covering the roads out front, I couldn't think of what I was doing. What was my purpose? Everything was the same as usual. Up in the morning, eat, let time go by throughout the day, and sleep at night. There has to be something out there. I want to experience the world, but how? An intricate plan must be in the works, but would help be available? I can't possibly do this on my own. There has to be something I can do on my own... bit by bit.

"What are you doing in the corner by yourself?"

"Coral, I didn't see you there." I looked over to her, as I couldn't hide the surprise on my face. "It's nothing. I wonder what life is like outside."

"You still have aspirations for the outside? Let's just admit our fate here like everyone else." Coral shrugged as she sighed.

"I can't. I'm sure you had the same thoughts as me. Remember when we were kids?"

"That was when we were kids. I've accepted the inevitability of normalcy."

"I promise you if we get out of here, there's something waiting for us. I promise you that." I looked at Coral with a stern look, reaching over to hold her.

"Even if I believe you, what's your guarantee?"

I looked at her, stunned. I didn't even have a plan, but I never took my eyes off of her despite that. "Let's think and come up with a plan together. No matter how long it takes. We'll get out there. I won't believe life is all it is to be here."

Coral smiled. "Let's get back to the others to eat. We'll talk more later."

"Alright." I followed her back to the rest of the group, and I peered over my side at the window. Freedom... what is the price to pay for that? I wonder how long it will take to achieve that? What awaits Coral and I on the other side? I couldn't stop the tremble thinking about the unknown, but it's better than the normal life like everyone else here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flash Fiction #13

Flash Fiction #63

My Impressions of Hinokio