Flash Fiction #40

Here is another writing prompt that I found online.

"How does your main character react to the idea of romance?"
I'm taking the main character, Alexander Williams from one of my novels in progress called Twins (and to an extension, The God Sword which is the sequel to Twins).

Hope you enjoy.

~~~

Alex lay back on the roof of his house as he stared up at the clouds moving across the sky during the sunset. He patted his stomach after he ate dinner as he stuffed himself way too much with the food that his mom prepared for the meal. "Are you up here, Alex?" He heard his older sister, Risa, called for him from the room below him.

"On the roof, Sis." Alex replied back as he sat up to see his older sister climb up onto the rooftop to watch the clouds with him.

"No wonder you come up here after dinner." Risa smiled. "It's so peaceful and quiet unlike at the capital. It's like our hometown is in a bubble of its own, away from everything that is happening around the world. No matter what happens, this will last forever."

"I'm glad that at least you come back for family dinner when you can. Ilmith never writes back."

"He's the commander of the army. He has no time to worry about home when he has the job to protect the royal family."

"Still... I'm afraid I'll be like him when I leave home. I'll never write or visit home. Maybe I'll find someone and move far away." Alex looked over at Risa for a moment before looking away.

Risa turned to face Alex. "Talking about that... you're in the middle of puberty right now. What do you feel about the idea of romance? Finding a partner to spend the rest of your life with?"

"I honestly don't know who I like, or what I'm looking for in a girl. Maybe someone like Alisa since I'm always beside her everyday." Alex blushed and turned away to hide it from Risa.

Risa nudged him in the back with her elbow, grinning. "That means you're going to be the jealous, overprotective lover. But I feel bad that you have to take care of Alisa. I noticed that you do get looks from other girls, but you can't pursue any of them."

"That's okay. Alisa is fine for now. I'll be happy to spend the rest of my life with her."

"You do know that she is our sister, right, Alex?" Risa was worried by the idea of Alex's emotions progressing more than just sibling love.

"That's why I said when I move to the capital, things may change. Being alone in a city, I may meet someone or I may devote my life to fighting like what Ilmith does now." Alex turned back to face Risa. "What about you? How do you feel about love?"

Risa laughed as she stood up. "That will be a secret for now until next time."

"Aww!" Alex sat up, whining. "And when will that be, Sis?!"

"When I see you at the capital." Risa grinned as she climbed back through the window into the room below.

"That's forever! Geez..." Alex lay back down, annoyed. "I always get fooled by her. Every. Single. Time."

Alisa walked into the room and pointed upwards. "Sis, is Alex on the roof?"

Risa nodded. "He is. I guess you finished your chores just now?"

"Uh huh." Alisa climbed up onto the rooftop to join Alex.

When Risa was alone in the room, she prayed, "I hope that they enjoy this innocence for a bit longer." After praying for her younger siblings, she walked downstairs to gather her belongings for the long trip back to the capital.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flash Fiction #13

Flash Fiction #14

Flash Fiction #63