Flash Fiction #35

I didn't know what to do. Everything had happened so fast. I'm glad that my uncle was with us when it happened, or else, he may have been dead before getting to the hospital. I just froze at the sight of my dad falling to the ground while clutching his chest in pain. My eyes widened in shock, and I could hear the thermos that I held hitting against the ground at my feet. Even though everything around me seemed so chaotic and fast, my ears blocked out all of the sound except for the beating from my heart. My uncle snapped me back as he tried to perform CPR, yelling, "May! Call the ambulance now!"

"Okay!" I took out my phone and dialed as my fingers shook as if they weren't in my control.

When the paramedics finally came, my shoulders relaxed from being tense as help finally arrived. My uncle wiped the sweat from his forehead with the back of his hand. They lifted my father onto a stretcher and followed them towards the ambulance. Since the paramedics arrived, he must be in good hands. We rode in the back of the ambulance as they sped towards the nearest hospital. As soon as the ambulance arrived at the hospital, they wheeled him to the E.R. My uncle and I followed as fast as we could, but we were lagging a bit behind them. I could only touch my dad's fingertips before the nurse stopped us from continuing forward.

I sat at the bench to the side of the hallway, legs shaking and hands in my face with the worst possible scenarios running through my head. Tears rolled down my cheeks and saw them hit the white tiled floor. My uncle put an arm around me to support me, and whispered that everything will be alright.

When the red surgery sign turned off, both of us stood up in a hurry as one of the first nurses walked out taking off her face mask and gloves. "How is my dad!?"

All she did was give the thumbs up as my dad on the stretcher with nurses and the operating doctor walked out into the hallway. I cried for joy as my legs gave in and dropped to the floor. The water in my eyes made everything blurry, but he was crystal clear in my mind. We had our arguments from time to time, but I didn't want it to end it like that. I wanted to say something to him that I never did for a long time. I love you, and thank you for everything.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flash Fiction #13

Flash Fiction #63

My Impressions of Hinokio