Side by Side is now out!

Summary:
After two weeks from the break up from his first love, Jackie has been reminiscing the memories about her while his good friend, Kim, has been trying to support him to move on. Then as if fantasy meets reality, Jackie gets a second chance to try to make things right from help that he least suspects.
Smashwords book link: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/410000

This was my first short story that I have written and finished compared to the other short stories. I left the first draft alone for a couple of years before going back to look over it. Although this was the first one to be done, I didn't feel that I wanted to edit it and this became a second or third short story to be self-published. Comparing the first draft and the last draft, the first half of the story remained the same for the most part with some minor changes here and there to fit the new second half of the story. Although I was satisfied with the first draft, there was something about the way it ended that I didn't like for some reason. I don't really know why, so I thought how I could make it better? Some stuff happened in real life that altered the way some events played out in the second half for Jackie. It was initially all about Stephanie before and after Aera shows up. As I put it aside to think about it, I kept the flashback in the beginning about Stephanie but I wanted to have a stronger hint towards Kim to leave off as a cliffhanger for the reader on the potential of where Jackie may go next. The initial ending just have him deciding he has moved on from Stephanie and is thankful for the help. Thinking right now, this could be better in a longer story but I condense the idea down to a short story. I never thought it would be great to lengthen the story to develop the characters more as I didn't have the confidence to make it not go stale with this type of story.

I don't really have a particular message that I wanted to tell the reader by the time they reach the ending. I wanted to get across that it's more of the narrator wanting to tell someone his story.

Like with my first short story, A Love Too Late, the cover image for this short story was taken by me. Unlike the first time, I didn't have to model my own hand or use myself. I'm grateful for the three friends that volunteer to take some time out of the daily schedule for this mini photoshoot. I combined two pictures together into one. Funny fact is that one of them I took 2-3 years ago. I'm glad that I could still find it after so long! I'm not fully confident that the image attracts attention, so I'm still learning but this is 100% creative control on my end. I sometimes wonder whether I should find an artist to make the cover image, but it's fun to design and learn photoshop.

What did you like about the story? What didn't you like? I hope you enjoy it, and comments are welcome. If you do decide to read it, please remember to leave a review on the Smashwords book page with your honest thoughts on it. Thank you very much.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flash Fiction #13

Flash Fiction #14

My Impressions of Hinokio