Flash Fiction #27

Update: October 30, 2014. I'm sharing this post on Julie Valerie's Book Blog as part of the Hump Day Blog Hop. Join in on the fun and click on the link or the one at the end of this post.
HUMP DAY BLOG HOP
“On Hump Day About Books”
RUNS FOR ONE WEEK
WEDNESDAY (Oct 29, 2014) to WEDNESDAY (Nov 5, 2014)

~~~

I just thought of this idea randomly just now. I swear that this was influenced by something long ago, but I can't remember where the inspiration came from. Nevertheless, hope you enjoy =)

~~~

"Jess, what should we put here?" My eight year old sister, Agnes had asked and pointed at the laptop screen.

I was controlling the mouse on the screen, and we were setting up a profile on a dating site. I clicked in the box labelled "Hobbies", and was ready to type on the keyboard. "I don't know. We can't possibly put our dad's normal hobbies. They're too boring."

"I agree!" Agnes chimed in loudly. "Chess and gardening are boring."

Then we heard someone was clearing his throat, and turned around to see our dad at the doorway to my room. Agnes opened her eyes as she put her tiny hands on her mouth, scared.

"I may have misheard, but what was it you said, Agnes?" Our dad stepped closer and bent down on one knee to look at her properly.

"I'm sorry, Daddy but it's the truth, We want to find you someone special!" Agnes replied, fiddling with her fingers.

"What are you, like eight?" he said as she shook his head and then turned to look up at me. "This is your doing, isn't it, Jess? Agnes would never say this of her own accord."

"We have a perfectly good reason for doing this. Please listen." I pleaded, biting my lip.

He stood up and sighed. "What is it? You better have a good enough reason, or there is a punishment waiting for the both of you."

I closed the laptop lid and turned around the chair to face our dad properly. I gulped with a hint of nervousness. "Dad, won't it be lonely? When both Agnes and I grow older, it will just be you here. We want to find someone for you, instead of doing everything by yourself."

"Is the dating profile because of all of this?" He couldn't hide surprised expression on his face. "I really appreciate what you two are doing, but your mom... I can't go on yet."

"Mom is not here anymore," I simply said, "It's time to move on."

Agnes added, "We're only looking out for you, Daddy!"

He put on a soft smile and a hand on each of us. With his square-rimmed glasses, wrinkles creasing on his forehead, and bits of grey hair sticking out; Dad looked much wiser and older than he usually does. "Thank you for thinking about me, but I'm fine. I have two beautiful daughters and that's all I need to be happy right now. My heart is filled everyday looking at the both of you."

I sniffed as my eyes started to become teary. "Even if we leave home?"

"Of course, Jess." Then he placed a fist on the left side of his chest. "It's here that matters. As long as we love each other, I'll never be alone in the world. I won't need anyone else."

Agnes and I lunged forward into our dad's big arms, crying. Both of us whispered through our sobs and tears, "I love you, Dad."

He patted each of our backs, grinning. "Jess and Agnes, I love you both." Then he backed away as he wiped our tears with his thumbs. In a light tone, he said, "With that being said, both of you have some dishes to do for trying to do something unnecessary just now. Get a move on downstairs."

"Let's go, Agnes. The punishment awaits us." I stood up and made my way to the kitchen downstairs.

I held Agnes' hand, but then she snatched it away to quickly do a hop to land a kiss right on our dad's right cheek. I didn't think he was prepared for that as I saw a surprised look was on his face, but he looked very content throughout the rest of the day.

~~~

Like to party? Hop along the Hump Day Blog Hop on Julie Valerie’s Book Blog. Click here to return to the Hump Day Blog Hop.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flash Fiction #63

Flash Fiction #13

My Impressions of Hinokio