Flash Fiction #14

Update: September 24, 2014. I'm sharing this post on Julie Valerie's Book Blog as part of the Hump Day Blog Hop. Join in the fun and click on the link or the one at the end of this post.

HUMP DAY BLOG HOP
“On Hump Day About Books”
RUNS FOR ONE WEEK
WEDNESDAY (Sept 24, 2014) to WEDNESDAY (Oct 1, 2014)

~~~

9:30 PM. I sighed as I glanced at the time on the bottom right corner of the computer screen. Another late night at work. I closed another binder filled with paperwork, and set it aside on the furthest corner of my cubicle. I looked at the last binder in front of me out of the many binders around my desk and on the floor. I placed my glasses on the table, and rubbed my exhausted eyes. I took out my cell phone and looked at my text message sent at 6 PM to my long-term girlfriend. "I'm sorry, Stella. Too busy at work. I'll be late for dinner. You don't have to wait up for me."

She responded back then with this. "It's okay, I understand. I'll leave leftovers in the fridge, so just warm it up when you get home. Just remember to not overwork yourself! Take breaks!"

Even though she sent a supportive text message back, I couldn't help but feel guilty for not spending as much time with her. Things have been tough for the company the past couple of months, and I just wanted to help out a bit more than usual. I didn't think the extra work would cause me to constantly work overtime. I even started to count down the days to my next vacation where I could finally relax from the stress. 

I looked at the time again, and then at the last bit of work left on my desk. I should have enough time to finish this up if I go to work early tomorrow morning. I dialed Stella on my cell phone, and waited for her to answer.

When the line connected, I greeted, "Hey Stella, I just wanted to tell you that I'm going to leave soon."

"That's great. You're all done tonight?" she asked.

I leaned back into my chair, shaking my head. "No, but I'll just come in early tomorrow morning to finish the last bit up. I just want to spend some time with you. It feels like an eternity since last time."

"Okay, I'll start to warm up the food," Stella said. "I love you."

"I love you too. See you soon." Then I had hung up the call, and started to pack up my things to leave work. After so many years being together with her, I knew that she was the one that I wanted to spend my life with from now on. Even though we meshed together so well, there were our arguments from time and time again but the problem gets solved every time. Every relationship has to go through a low before it can get back to a high, right? We sometimes talk about the future, even marriage and having children. I even bought an engagement ring in preparation for that special moment to propose to Stella.

When I put on my jacket, I went over to open a drawer where a small, black box lay there. If I did not work late, I would have planned my proposal much earlier but that night seemed right. I pocketed the box, and proceeded to exiting the building to my car in the parking lot. I wanted to make it special, but it was the thought that mattered, right? I couldn't let my overtime postpone the inevitable to mask my hesitation, but it was a good chance as any other.

As I pulled into the driveway, and turned off the engine, I exhaled to try to calm my nerves for these next few minutes. Every step that I took to our front porch looked like the door kept on moving further away. I gulped as I rang the doorbell, and waited.

Stella opened the door and smiled. "Oh hey, why didn't you just open the door on your own? Anyway, come on in. Dinner's ready."

She stepped aside to let me in, but I stood still with both of my hands behind my back holding the box. When she saw that I wasn't moving, Stella raised an eyebrow with a confused look. She asked, "What's going on, Jack?"

I put on a nervous smile. "Stella, you are an amazing, smart, and bright person. After all of these years, I still feel very grateful for you being in my life."

"Jack, where are you going with this?" she asked, still confused. Is it what I think this is?

"I wanted to plan it to be really important and special. When I got super busy with work, I discarded the idea since I thought I had all of the time in the world, but that was the wrong thinking. Work will always be there, so I realized that the perfect time won't come if I don't seize the chance. Therefore, tonight is as good as any other day so..." Then I brought my hands forward, and lowered myself onto one knee. I looked up to see Stella put her hands over her surprised face with teary eyes. I said as I opened the box to reveal the ring, "Stella, I love you and I want to spend the rest of my life with you. Will you marry me?"

She burst out in tears, but she nodded multiple times in a clear, distinct voice. "Yes. Yes. In every situation, my answer will always be yes. I love you, Jack."

I showed a much bigger smile, and got up to put the engagement ring onto the correct finger. Afterwards, I kissed the girl of my dreams.

~~~

Like to party? Hop along the Hump Day Blog Hop on Julie Valerie’s Book Blog. Click here to return to the Hump Day Blog Hop.

Comments

  1. Oh god, don't write emotional things like that!
    I'm at work and crying in front of my computer.
    People are going to think I'm weird.
    :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Flash Fiction #13

Flash Fiction #63

My Impressions of Hinokio